Whether you’re new to online marketing or a seasoned veteran, it sure is nice to see what others consider important when setting up or taking over the online marketing for a business and its website.
Below is my Top 25 list of things to do from Day One.
It’s a simple list and knocking them out is not really that hard after you’ve done each once. So don’t let it intimidate you.
Start with the simple ones and move from there!
- Implement Web Analytics!
- Setup Google Webmaster Tools
- Setup Google Webmaster Tools for www and non-www
- Track 404 Errors – Pages Not Found
- Create 301 Redirects for pages not found
- Exclude yourself from Web Analytics (Google Analytics, Adobe Omniture SiteCatalyst, etc.)
- Create a mobile version of your site using MobiSiteGalore
- Test your page load times using Page Speed
- Create HTML, XML and geo sitemaps
- Archive your website using SurfOffline
- Audit broken outbound links using Xenu Link Sleuth
- Use a trackable phone number
- Create robots.txt
- Implement Hcard
- Redirect non-ww to www
- Redirect index.html to /
- Claim your business on Google Places
- Create a favicon.ico for your website
- Confirm your website’s IP address is not blacklisted
- Add alt tags to your website images
- Validate the HTML used on your website
- Claim your business on Yelp.com, CitySearch.com and JudysBook.com
- Set up Google Alerts
- Validate Browser compatibility
- Set up site search within Google Alerts
- Set up a globally recognized avatar (gravatar)
My list is actually much longer than this, but these are my top 25.
Do you think they’re right?
What did I leave off?
Tell me in the comments below.